|“||I have known you your entire life, there is not a mean bone in your body.||”|
— Piper talking to Phoebe.
Phoebe Halliwell is the middle sister of the Charmed Ones following the death of her oldest sister, Prue and the discovery of her younger half-sister, Paige. She is the wife of a Cupid named Coop and the mother of their children, P.J., Parker, and Peyton Halliwell. She was once pregnant with and lost a son while she was married to her ex-husband Cole Turner.
Phoebe was often considered the weakest of The Charmed Ones by demons due to her primary powers being more inclined to be passive than active. However, she consistently proved them wrong with her formidable martial-arts skills and her remarkable spell-casting talent. Her Wiccan powers gradually evolved, coming to include dangerously offensive aspects that could match those of her sisters: Premonition, Levitation, Empathic Telepathy and Psychic Reflection. Besides this, Phoebe possesses the basic powers of a witch: the ability to cast spells (which is her specialty), brew potions, scry for lost objects and people, and divine for pieces of information. Last but not least, Phoebe could access The Power of Three, the collective power of the Charmed Ones.
Phoebe is a famous columnist, and occasionally a reporter at The Bay Mirror, and is the author of the best-seller "Finding Love".
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to cast spells; a "spell" being the word used to signify the means employed to carry out a magical action. Being an experienced witch, Phoebe can cast spells with a hand gesture or even a thought, granting her a vast amount of magical powers. Phoebe is also considered the best spell writer of all four sisters.
- Potion Brewing: The power to brew and concoct potions, remedies and elixirs that have supernatural properties.
- Channeling: The power to invoke extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces. A witch can only ever channel so much power. Going beyond that limit risks the witch disintegrating from the inside out.
- Premonition: Phoebe's primary Wiccan power allows her to perceive past or present events which she has not personally witnessed (clairvoyance), or foretell events which have a high probability of taking place (prescience). Since there is more than one possible future stemming from almost any given critical moment, she cannot perceive the future with absolute certainty: overlapping mental images of alternate sequences of events appear to her simultaneously, the most probable futures appearing more "luminous" than others. The farther into the future she tries to peer, the greater the number of possibilities which appear and thus the greater degree of uncertainty. Phoebe's premonition powers also allow her visions to reveal the truth. For instance, when the world is caught within a recurring time loop by the time sorcerer Tempus, Phoebe is able to realize that the same day is repeating over and over again because of her premonition powers.
- Psychic Intuition: Phoebe's premonition powers also evolve to allow her to anticipate the actions of others as in many instances Phoebe has sidestepped and jumped out the way of incoming fireballs and energy balls with perfect timing.
- Sharing Visions: Phoebe also develops the power to trigger a vision in someone else with similar powers, "sharing" visions with Elders and knowing how to trigger a specific "trap" premonition in the evil witch Mitzy, who had temporary possession of her powers.
- Empathic Telepathy: Phoebe is an empath with various telepathic abilities. She can read minds; project her thoughts into the minds of others; sense the emotions of others as if they were her own; and magnify or diminish the emotions of others. The range of her telepathic powers is not yet known, although, Phoebe appears to have considerable psychic reach, as she connected with Cole on an empathic plane from within the manor while he was in the Underworld, and tactical contact allows her to search the deepest recesses of a person's mind. Her natural powers make her particularly sensitive to similar powers in others.
- Thought Manipulation: Phoebe is able to subtly influence the minds of other beings with her own thoughts. While not exactly the same as mesmerizing others, Phoebe can use their power to get through to people; for example, this was seen when she projected her thoughts into Prue's mind to convince Prue to not kill Cyd, and Phoebe's influence helped Cole and Leo to resist the effects of Chloe's pixie dust.
- Psychic Pain Infliction: Phoebe is able to induce extreme amount of pain through her telepathic abilities. Phoebe discovered that her empathy powers grew to allow her to incapacitate or even kill another person. Afterwards, Phoebe realizes that she murdered Cal Greene in an alternate future by reflecting his emotions back onto him, flooding his mind with painful emotions and memories of the women he had hurt, which causes his brain to overload.
- Psychic Illusions: Derived from her mind control, Phoebe can project false imagery into other's minds, forcing her victims to perceive what she wants. However, this skill requires effort and Phoebe's illusion was broken after Paige orbed in front of her, breaking her concentration.
- Empathic Healing: By absorbing the pain of the wounded into herself, Phoebe can induce rapid healing for the affected person; her body seems to be able to nullify this negative energy after a certain amount of time. Thus healing too many people in rapid succession can place great physical strain on her body (e.g. symptoms could include disorientation, nose bleeds, grey hair and unconsciousness). She can also heal herself by going into a trance of emotional calm.
- Emotional Energy Manipulation: As a result of her powers expanding, Phoebe's innate empathy allows her to turn emotion into fields of raw energy. When Phoebe's love expanded her powers during an intense battle with Alastor, she was able to create a force-field of magical energy to protect Piper, Paige, and herself from Alastor's pyrokinetic attack. During an intense sexual experience with Cole, Phoebe's fear expanded her powers which caused her to a create a "sex bomb", an energy blast that manifested in between her legs and subsequently sent Parker flying across the room. Also, when in battle against a crazed Prue she projected a force-field with the aid of her other sisters that protected the Charmed Ones from Prue's Deathbolts.
- Mediumship: Phoebe's empathy allows her to sense the emotions and hear the thoughts of the spirits of those who are dead. By opening her mind, she is able to perceive and communicate with earthbound spirits.
- Psychometry: Phoebe can telepathically read "psychic imprints" that people leave on objects that they have handled, and thereby learn the thoughts that an individual had while handling the object, a phenomenon known as psychometry. The stronger the person's emotion while handling the object, the stronger the psychic imprint he or she leaves on it. Moreover, she can also read a person's future in this manner as well.
- Levitation: About two years after her power were unbound, Phoebe obtains her first active power in the form of levitation, the power to defy gravity and float in the air. This power is uncontrollable when she first obtains it, but she later learns to maintain complete control over it. When new to her power, Phoebe was unable to move horizontally, and Prue had to use her telekinesis to guide Phoebe across a cavern while she is levitating. Later on, Phoebe often mixes her martial arts and kick boxing with her levitating power to knock out her enemies. Eventually, this power advances so that Phoebe is able to glide short distances while levitating and she even learns to use her power to walk on walls. She is even able to propel herself while levitating, as seen when she propels herself through a ventilation duct with her levitation powers. Phoebe has also showcased a form of projective levitation, when she levitates herself and a weatherman. Phoebe displays projective levitation again during meditation when she levitates the pillow she is sitting on along with her.
- The Power of Three: The bond and connection between Phoebe and her sisters, known as the Charmed Ones, who are said to be the most powerful trio of witches. Phoebe and her sisters use their powers to protect innocent lives and vanquish demons, often invoking their joint "Power of Three" to defeat their enemies. Evidently, there are certain spells that require the Power of Three and cannot be cast by even the most powerful witches, like Penny Halliwell.
- Immunity: Being an upper-level witch, Phoebe is inherently immune to certain magical abilities (e.g. the Sirens' songs and to Pixie Dust).
- Remote Beaming: The ability to teleport her husband Coop to her just by focusing on him.
- Lock Picking: Phoebe was taught by her ex-boyfriend Todd Marks how to pick an ordinary lock.
- Skilled PickPocket: Phoebe is revealed to be a skilled pick-pocket; having picked up the technique during her rebellious teen years.
- Adept Combatant: To make up for initially only having a passive power, Phoebe took classes in self-defense (i.e. kickboxing and kung-fu). She also trained with Cole for short period of time. She eventually became the most effective hand-to-hand fighter out of all the four sisters.
- Empathic Staff: Melinda Warren left Phoebe a staff which allows her to focus her emotional energy when she needs it most. This staff can also be separated into escrima sticks. With the staff, she is able to project herself onto an empathic astral plane to communicate with others.