|“||I have known you your entire life, there is not a mean bone in your body.||”|
— Piper talking to Phoebe.
Phoebe Halliwell is the middle sister of the Charmed Ones following the death of her oldest sister, Prue and the discovery of her younger half-sister, Paige. She is the wife of a Cupid named Coop and the mother of their children, P.J., Parker, and Peyton Halliwell. She was once pregnant with and lost a son while she was married to her ex-husband Cole Turner.
Phoebe was often considered the weakest of The Charmed Ones by demons due to her primary powers being more inclined to be passive than active. However, she consistently proved them wrong with her formidable martial-arts skills and her remarkable spell-casting talent. Her Wiccan powers gradually evolved, coming to include dangerously offensive aspects that could match those of her sisters: Premonition, Levitation, Empathic Telepathy and Psychic Reflection. Besides this, Phoebe possesses the basic powers of a witch: the ability to cast spells (which is her specialty), brew potions, scry for lost objects and people, and divine for pieces of information. Last but not least, Phoebe could access The Power of Three, the collective power of the Charmed Ones.
Phoebe is a famous columnist, and occasionally a reporter at The Bay Mirror, and is the author of the best-seller "Finding Love".
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to cast spells; a "spell" being the word used to signify the means employed to carry out a magical action. Being an experienced witch, Phoebe can cast spells with a hand gesture or even a thought, granting her a vast amount of magical powers.
- Potion Brewing: The power to brew and concoct potions, remedies and elixirs that have supernatural properties.
- Channeling: The power to invoke extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces. A witch can only ever channel so much power. Going beyond that limit risks the witch disintegrating from the inside out.
- Premonition: Phoebe's primary Wiccan power allows her to perceive past or present events which she has not personally witnessed (clairvoyance), or foretell events which have a high probability of taking place (prescience). Since there is more than one possible future stemming from almost any given critical moment, she cannot perceive the future with absolute certainty: overlapping mental images of alternate sequences of events appear to her simultaneously, the most probable futures appearing more "luminous" than others. The farther into the future she tries to peer, the greater the number of possibilities which appear and thus the greater degree of uncertainty.
- Psychic Intuition: The ability to sense when something is about to happen before it does. This allows her to sense and predict attacks.
- Sharing Visions: The ability to share visions with other psychics by holding hands, palm to palm.
- Psychic Echos: The ability to create a psychic link with other psychics.
- Empathic Telepathy: The ability to feel, sense and understand other people's feelings and emotions.
- Mind Control: As Phoebe's powers develop, she could also send her own thoughts to beings she is in contact with and influence them telepathically, as seen when she projected her thoughts into Prue's mind, stopping her sister from killing Cyd. Prue's influence was also able to nullify the effects of Chloe's pixie dust on Harry and Parker respectively.
- Emotional Energy Manipulation: As a result of her powers expanding, Phoebe's innate empathy allows her to turn emotion into fields of raw energy. When Phoebe's love expanded her powers during an intense battle with Alastor, she was able to create a force-field of magical energy to protect Prue, Piper, and herself from Alastor's pyrokinetic attack. During an intense sexual experience with Cole, Phoebe's fear expanded her powers which caused her to a create a "sex bomb", an energy blast that manifested in between her legs and subsequently sent Parker flying across the room. Also when in battle against Prue, she projected a force-field with the aid of her other sisters that protected the Charmed Ones from Prue's Deathbolts.
- Psychometry: Phoebe can read "psychic imprints" that people leave on objects that they have handled, and thereby learn the thoughts that an individual had while handling the object, a phenomenon known as psychometry. The stronger the person's emotion while handling the object, the stronger the psychic imprint he or she leaves on it. Moreover, she can also read a person's future in this manner as well. She can also telepathically "read" the recent memories of a person by making physical contact with him or her.
- Mediumship: The ability to communicate with the dead. Phoebe's empathy allows her to sense the emotions and hear the thoughts of other's souls.
- Levitation: The ability to propel oneself into the air and hover. She can also extend her levitation power to levitate other people and objects when in physical contact with them. Her ability to levitate also allows her to build up enough momentum to deliver more powerful attacks by levitating and kicking her targets, who would fall back a considerable distance.
- The Power of Three: The bond and connection between Phoebe and her sisters, known as the Charmed Ones, who are said to be the most powerful trio of witches. Phoebe and her sisters use their powers to protect innocent lives and vanquish demons, often invoking their joint "Power of Three" to defeat their enemies. Evidently, there are certain spells that require the Power of Three and cannot be cast by even the most powerful witches, like Penny Halliwell.
- Immunity: Being an upper-level witch, Maggie is inherently immune to certain magical abilities (e.g. the Sirens' songs and to Pixie Dust).
- Remote Beaming: The ability to teleport her husband Coop to her just by focusing on him.
- Adept Combatant: To make up for initially only having a passive power, Phoebe took classes in self-defense. She also trained with Cole for short period of time. She eventually became the most effective hand-to-hand fighter out of all the four sisters.